Monday, November 21, 2011

C25K - Finishing Round #1

I've decided to consider myself done with round #1 of the c25k plan.  "Technically" I've only finished through Wk 8 Day 1, but considering that in the hardest, Wk 9, workout there is only a 30 minute jog.  And yet for the last 2 workouts I'd jogged over 50 minutes.  I just don't see the reason to finish the last 5 workouts.  Seems to me that I'd just be somewhat stagnate.  I am completely ready to step things up, and I think these last workouts would be a waste of time and wouldn't help me do that.

So here's the plan.  Although I can jog for a long period of time, I am still a pretty slow jogger.  So, now it's time to focus on speed.  I'm going to mix things up a bit.  Partly, I'm going to re-do the c25k plan, focusing purely on speed this time.  Also, one of my instructors at the gym told me about some ways to increase speed.  So, I'll probably combine the two and mix things up. 

I was actually really hesitant to say that I am done and not finish these last workouts.  I felt like it would almost be like quitting.  But then I realized that the most important thing is for me to listen to my own body and do what's best for it.  And I really feel that this is the best thing for me. 

Most c25k graduates sign-up for their first 5k.  I am REALLY not a fan of running outside in the VERY cold weather this time of year where I live.  So, instead, I am planning on my first 5k being in March.  It's a St. Patrick's day one.  If I was to do one right now, I would definitely finish it, but I would be over 30 minutes.  Maybe with working on my speed, my first real 5k could be under that 30 minute mark!

Looking forward to continuing to push myself.  I am in shock at just how far I've already come in such a short amount of time.  Can't wait to see how much farther I can improve!

No comments:

Post a Comment