Sunday, September 25, 2011

Exercise

Exercise is definitely an important part of changing my life.  The funny thing is that exercise isn't really the issue for me.  It's the whole package.  Eating better, stop drinking caffeinated drinks stuffed full of sugar, sleeping a healthy amount of time, etc.  About 10 months ago my doctor told me that for 6 months she was putting me on a medicine that one of the main side effects was weight gain.  Something clicked in my head when she said that.  I REFUSED to let myself gain any more weight.  So for the next 6 months I worked out like crazy.  Even though it terrified me, I started going to group classes at the gym by my house.  I knew that I wasn't going to be able to do half of the things that the rest of the class could do.  And I was pretty worried that I'd be getting condescending looks from the rest of the class.  I mean, I had watched them walk in, they were all skinny and looked in shape.  What in the world was I thinking to try to join them?  It ended up being nothing like I feared!  Everyone was so extremely encouraging to me.  Some of them had even been where I am now.  One of the most important things that I've learned about exercise is to do what you can, and just push yourself a bit.  Don't feel like you have to be able to keep up with those people that have been exercising for years!  Modify, modify, modify!  Pretty soon you'll be able to do more than you ever thought possible. 

But, even though I was working out, I didn't lose any weight.  I didn't gain any either, which was a blessing, but I got myself pretty frustrated.  The problem was that even though I was exercising, I didn't change anything else in my life.  I was still eating all the wrong foods and in the wrong amounts.  I was still drinking all of those unhealthy drinks.  I was still sleeping only a few hours a day.  After the 6 months was up, I've somewhat kept up the exercise, but not as regularly as before.  I think that's because I was upset that I hadn't lost any weight.  I finally have come to the realization that they only way for me to get healthier is if I make a complete change in my life, not just one change.  So along with other changes, it's time to recommit to exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment