Monday, May 7, 2012

30 Day Plank Challenge

Today at the end of kickboxing, I ended up having some one on one time with my instructor, Laura.  She was helping me work on having the right form for a modified plank.  While we were working on that, she recognized something that I've know for a while.  My core is not strong at all.  With having back issues since I was 11, I've pretty much trained my body to work other muscles and protect my back.  The biggest issue with that is that my back and abs don't get worked as hard as they should.  And now they are weak. 

So she gave me a challenge.  For the next 30 days I am going to do three planks every day.  The first one I just hold as long as I absolutely can.  Rest for a few seconds.  Then I hold the second one for the same amount of time, plus ten seconds.  And the last one I hold for an additional ten seconds. 

Each day I'll track how long I held them for, and we'll see how quickly I can improve throughout the 30 days!  If you want to see how I'm doing during the month, I'll post the numbers on the right side of my blog.

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Planking is seriously the best thing ever!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been really intimidated by planks. For some reason they just scare me to death! Guess that's why I'm not very good at them. If this 30 days goes really well, I'll probably do additional rounds for side planks and then non-modified ones.

      Delete
  2. Sorry I didn't read this until today. That sounds like an awesome challenge. I might have to try it.

    ReplyDelete